Death comes for us all, even the goddesses among us.
Pardon me such a lachrymose opening line, but Jessye Norman died on September 30, 2019 at the age of 74 and how can that be.
I had planned to write today about Johannes Brahms’ glorious vocal quartets (for soprano, alto, tenor, and bass voices and piano), 12 in number and published as Opuses 31, 64, 92, and 112. Like so much (if not most) of Brahms’ music for multiple voices and chorus, the vocal quartets are buried treasures, hidden gems, superb works generally unknown by the listening public and as such, a perfect subject for Dr. Bob Prescribes.
But our exquisite Ms. Norman’s passing has prompted a necessary change of course. So instead, I ask that you join me on Patreon as we explore one of my favorite recordings of Ms. Norman’s.
Robert Greenberg Courses On Sale Now
- Great Music of the 20th CenturyProduct on sale$49.95 – $84.95
- Concert MasterworksProduct on sale$39.95 – $49.95
- Bach and the High BaroqueProduct on sale$39.95 – $49.95
- The SymphonyProduct on sale$34.95 – $49.95
- Beethoven’s Piano SonatasProduct on sale$34.95 – $49.95
- The Symphonies of BeethovenProduct on sale$44.95 – $69.95
- How to Listen to and Understand OperaProduct on sale$44.95 – $59.95
- Great Masters: Haydn — His Life and MusicProduct on sale$14.95 – $19.95
- Great Masters: Mozart — His Life and MusicProduct on sale$19.95
- Great Masters: Tchaikovsky — His Life and MusicProduct on sale$19.95 – $89.95
- Great Masters: Beethoven — His Life and MusicProduct on sale$14.95 – $19.95